photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

10.31.2012

So Faintly >> You Came Tapping

Happy Halloween, everyone! Are you wearing a costume? I hope so. I LOVE the excuse to wear a costume during daylight hours. I don't even care if it's elaborate, I just love the idea of wearing something that makes everyday life feel extra-ordinary...like something special and magical is among us.

Costumes (and candy) aside, I have not been a huge Halloween lover in the past. I don't like scary movies, I hate the colors black and orange together, and I'm not a fan of slasher/violence type stuff. But this year for the first time, I started to think a little more deeply about Halloween's origins, beyond the commercial presentation of it. What got me thinking about it was Dia de los Muertos, and the beautiful imagery that surrounds that holiday in Mexico. There, the dead are celebrated and remembered, with parades and parties, food and offerings. In the Wikipedia entry about it, it talks about similar traditions in cultures around the world, that celebrate the dead and the links between this world and the next.

Death is not something that is discussed much in this culture. At least not in mine. I will be the first to admit that I am not at all comfortable with the topic, whether it pertains to my own demise or a loved one's. I did not grow up in a place that celebrated or honored death, and I suspect many of you did not either. It was something to put behind you, to move on from.

But today, on Halloween and the days surrounding it, many cultures believe that the veil between this world and the next is the thinnest. That the lines are blurred, and things can pass through. I do not know if this is true. I do not know what may be on the other side. Perhaps nothing. But I do not know. So today, I am going to be receptive...to open my heart and think of loved ones who have passed, to light a candle to honor their spirit...

...and tomorrow, I'll be back with the fun part of Halloween - my costume - to share with you all! So, let's celebrate the dead, dress up in a ridiculous outfit, and nosh on some Reese's... now it's starting to sound like a holiday I can get behind. :)

shanti >> sondra

Get updates via: RSS * BLOGLOVIN' * FACEBOOK * TWITTER


No comments:

Post a Comment